August Wrap-Up

by - 12:00 PM


Book Count: 8

Pages Count: 2,450

Star Count: 28/40



The Reason You're Alive by Matthew Quick

Another solid quick read from Matthew Quick about a Vietnam vet living in modern day and dealing with the societal changes. There was not much plot to this book, but it didn’t need it i realized in the end. The crotchety old man teaches you to not take everything for granted, that yes, he may have a black and white view on society, but he’s more accepting of this world than most people.


The Secret History of Us by Jessi Kirby

Olivia loses several years of her memory after a tragic accident and in turn loses who she really is. I really like the approach the author took for this book, in that instead of focusing on the potential drama-filled road she could have ventured down, she focused more on the main character finding her way back to who she really is, regardless of who she was at the time of the accident. And what really threw me was the massive cliff hanger she left you on at the end - you’re left not really knowing what happens with Olivia, but then again not having your typical happy ending story is quite refreshing.


What to Say Next by Julie Buxbaum
A cute read about two high school students who are lost and are struggling to be themselves in society. When they befriend each other, an unusual friendship begins. I didn’t love this book, mostly because it just didn’t seem to go anywhere. I get that Kit protected David and that David helped Kit deal with her tragedy, but that just wasn’t enough plot for me. I will however give major kudos to the author for including an autistic boy in the story. Not only is autism never addressed in YA, but it’s rarely seen from a first person perspective.


The Walls by Hollie Overton

A woman who made the wrong choices in her teenage years is paying for them later in life, until she meets the guy who can turn everything around; or upside down.

A really heartbreaking yet empowering book about female strength and resilience, and just an overall thrilled, this book left me on the edge of my seat always. This book was fantastic. Not at all what I was expecting.

Be aware that this book does involve domestic abuse (physical abuse that is) and is very cringe-worthy and hard to read at points. But the ending is just fantastic. I wouldn’t say that justice is served, considering the circumstances, but it was more than satisfying.  I highly recommend you read this if you’re into thrillers or murder-mysteries.

To All the Boys I've Loved Before by Jenny Han

This was better than I was expecting. It’s a very hyped book and I have been putting it off for a very long time. The main character is very sweet and naive (in the cute way, because you know she’s learning...she’s not just a ditz.) I LOVE that this series isn’t based off of just one relationship. I like that it is more about seeing Lara-Jean grow as a person, rather than be based around what boy she falls in love with and their relationship as a whole. It’s refreshing and I really enjoy seeing inside her head because it just reminds me of myself when I was that age…*cringe*

Into the Dim by Janet B. Taylor

I freaking LOVED this book. I saw that there’s a lot of people who don’t like this book, and I guess if you’re super duper Outlander fans, I get it? But for someone who has hidden away from Outlander for so long, I’m absolutely OBSESSED with this. It’s the perfect combination on nerd and sci-fi. It’s epic and exciting and unpredictable plus, historical fiction on the side? Yes, please.

Not gonna lie though, her personal life (like with her father and everything) seems a WEE far fetched...and her mother’s story doesn’t add up either...if you read this book, you will understand what i’m babbling on about.

Either way, I demand you go read this. It’s one of my favorite reads of the entire year and I’m SOOO freaking excited for Sparks of Light.

London Belongs to Me by Jacquelyn Middleton

DNF
(Did Not Finish)
Here’s an unpopular opinion because I know SO many people who absolutely loved and devoured this book...but I was not one of them. I couldn’t finish this one...I loved the concept because if there’s two things I love it’s London and Doctor Who.  It was too much...It was almost as if the author was trying too hard to be overly obsessed with London and Doctor Who. It just didn’t seem natural coming from someone who IS genuinely in love with both.



One of Us is Lying by Karen M. McManus

The Breakfast Club modernized into a  murder mystery. This was a good quick read for me...there wasn’t much substance to it and the main characters were quite flawed and bothersome but it was still overall enjoyable.

I also unfortunately was able to guess the murderer from the very beginning (which never happens) and it kinda ruined the story for me. It was creepy, but mostly just annoying high school kids who were completely messed up in their own ways.

You May Also Like

0 comments