Bad Romance by Heather Demetrios

by - 7:45 PM


Overall:

Do not go into reading this book expecting it to be as a heartwarming as I'll Meet You There.This book is going to challenge you with difficult topics of abuse, depression, and suicide. But that being said, I feel like this is one of the very few books that has altered my way of thinking about relationships and given me a whole new perspective on life.

Everyone should read this book. Not just because from a literary standpoint it’s a great book, which it is, but because I feel that it’s something every reader can benefit from.

I, unfortunately, had friends who were in mentally and physically abusive relationships who I was quick to judge for not leaving their significant other sooner. “It’s so simple!” I thought. But no; after reading this, I understand how impossible it may be to leave someone like that. So please: read this book and let it change your perspective on abusive relationships and depression.

I became so emotionally invested, I found myself actively worrying and hating the characters while I was driving to work.  I completely forgot that they are all fictional characters.

Storyline:

This book was beautifully written. I never once doubted Heather Demetrios’ writing skills, but this book just proved to me how incredibly talented she really is.

We first meet Grace, the love sick teen who is desperately in love with the ultra cool guy, Gavin Davis. Grace is a big dreamer with a hard work ethic. The only thing in her way is her family. Grace’s stepfather abuses her and her mother. Her mother takes the abuse and redirects it to Grace. Grace is desperate for a way out of this life and she believes Gavin is it. But she is dead wrong.

Grace and Gavin end up dating and become inseparable - until Gavin becomes insufferable. Gavin has a grip on Grace’s life and he won’t let go. He becomes abusive and she has no way out.

Grace is not weak; that is important to note. If anything, she is one hell of a teenager. The life that she was dealt was not fair, but she took it with stride and never once complained. She put up with abuse from her family and from her personal relationships, but nevertheless, she persisted.

This book will take you through Grace’s relationship with Gavin, which is at first romantic, but then becomes dreadful. This is an important story on abusive relationships, something rarely touched upon.

The overall takeaway from this book is not necessarily how to deal with abusive relationships, it is more so allowing yourself to realize how much you matter in this world and how no one should ever come before you: Love yourself first.

You May Also Like

0 comments