The Girl on the Train

by - 3:57 PM


What's it about?

EVERY DAY THE SAME
Rachel takes the same commuter train every morning and night. Every day she rattles down the track, flashes past a stretch of cozy suburban homes, and stops at the signal that allows her to daily watch the same couple breakfasting on their deck. She’s even started to feel like she knows them. Jess and Jason, she calls them. Their life—as she sees it—is perfect. Not unlike the life she recently lost.

UNTIL TODAY
And then she sees something shocking. It’s only a minute until the train moves on, but it’s enough. Now everything’s changed. Unable to keep it to herself, Rachel goes to the police. But is she really as unreliable as they say? Soon she is deeply entangled not only in the investigation but in the lives of everyone involved. Has she done more harm than good?

My Thoughts: 

This book was a really great thriller and full of a lot of jaw-dropping moments, but to be honest, I think it's pretty overhyped. I get that it's a really good plot and the writing is great but oh my goodness the characters drove me insane. This book takes unreliable narrator to the extreme. Which I get is the point of a mystery-thriller, so maybe this just isn't MY cup of tea. The women characters were weak and vulnerable which irked me to no end. They had no treated themselves like crap and had absolutely no respect for who they were without men. I'm not going to go on a feminist rant or anything, but this book just really harped on the weakness of women when it came to men. No woman was independent, and each woman hated the other. I get that not every person is a strong individual, but this was just a bit too far. And quite frankly it ruined the book for me. 

So the reason I'm even giving this book 3 stars is because the ending for me was unpredictable. The plot was great and the writing was good. But the characters was the make it or break it for me. I don't really know what else to say about this book. It was a good read, but I would not recommend to anyone unless they were massive murder-mystery fans. 




SaveSave

You May Also Like

0 comments