Pride by Ibi Zoboi

by - 12:00 PM


Title: Pride
Author: Ibi Zoboi
Published: September 18th, 2018
Pages: 304
Goodreads Rating: 3.83
My Rating: 3.75

Quick synopsis: Zuri Benitez has pride. Brooklyn pride, family pride, and pride in her Afro-Latino roots. But pride might not be enough to save her rapidly gentrifying neighborhood from becoming unrecognizable.

When the wealthy Darcy family moves in across the street, Zuri wants nothing to do with their two teenage sons, even as her older sister, Janae, starts to fall for the charming Ainsley. She especially can’t stand the judgmental and arrogant Darius. Yet as Zuri and Darius are forced to find common ground, their initial dislike shifts into an unexpected understanding.

But with four wild sisters pulling her in different directions, cute boy Warren vying for her attention, and college applications hovering on the horizon, Zuri fights to find her place in Bushwick’s changing landscape, or lose it all.

Would I recommend?: Yes!
Why?: This book was wonderful. Pride and Prejudice is my all-time favorite book, so imagine my excitement when there was to be a YA contemporary adaptation. SO EXCITED.

I love the parallels to the original Pride and Prejudice, the romance, the diversity, and I love Ibi’s representation of the harsh reality of living in the hood.

The reason I didn’t give this book an easy 5-star review is because Zuri got on my nerves. Obviously, she’s supposed to have tons of pride and be prejudice against the Darcy’s, but it was almost taken too far. I got annoyed with how pretentious she was. Elizabeth of course does the same thing, but Zuri held onto her pride for far too long. She was pushing people out of her life, including her own sisters, instead of accepting others in.

You May Also Like

0 comments