To All The Boys I've Loved Before (Series)

by - 12:00 PM


Title: To All The Boys I’ve Loved Before (Series)
Author: Jenny Han

Quick synopsis: This is the story of Lara Jean, who has never openly admitted her crushes, but instead wrote each boy a letter about how she felt, sealed it, and hid it in a box under her bed. But one day Lara Jean discovers that somehow her secret box of letters has been mailed, causing all her crushes from her past to confront her about the letters: her first kiss, the boy from summer camp, even her sister's ex-boyfriend, Josh. As she learns to deal with her past loves face to face, Lara Jean discovers that something good may come out of these letters after all.

Goodreads Rating (Avg of all 3): 4.16
My Ratings:
To All The Boys I’ve Loved Before  3.00
P.S. I Still Love You → 5.00
Forever And Always, Lara Jean → 4.00
Average of all 3 → 4.00

Would I recommend?: If you loved the movie, definitely. If you hated it, steer away.

Why?: So let’s start out by noting that I read the first in this series August 2017. I really was not a fan of the first book as it was quite dull and it definitely did not need to be a whole series. It could have stopped after book 1. However, when the movie came out this past August, I gave the rest of the series a go and was pleasantly surprised. Lara Jean is a naive child sometimes, but other times my high school self could really relate to her.

P.S. I Still Love You was by far my favorite of the three books. It was fun and lovey-dovey, and you got to see Lara Jean develop more as a person with and without Peter. Book two was everything I could have hoped for.

Forever and Always, Lara Jean was definitely my second favorite of the series. Lara Jean is finally figuring her life out and realizing that life is not all about boys and falling in love. It’s about finding out who you are and what you want out of life. I really appreciated that coming from a Young Adult book. I know that 16 year old me would have seriously benefited from reading about Lara Jean. The only thing I wasn’t a fan of in this book was that there was barely any romance in the novel. It was mostly about finding out who Lara Jean was, and I would have liked to see an equal mix of both.

Now, I absolutely adore the movie. It was probably my favorite movie of the year thus far, and that’s saying a lot. Obviously there are significant differences between the series and the movie, some of which are quite aggravating. And personally, I like the movie more than the book (Yeah. I know. No one ever says that…). I just found the character’s were more relatable in the movie and Lara Jeans and Peter’s development as a couple made more sense.

Overall, a cute series, but I’d only recommend reading it if you loved the movie. If it wasn’t your thing, then I’d pass on this series for now.

You May Also Like

0 comments