Harry Potter and the Cursed Child

by - 2:28 PM


What's it about? 


"Based on an original new story by J.K. Rowling, Jack Thorne and John Tiffany, a new play by Jack Thorne, Harry Potter and the Cursed Child is the eighth story in the Harry Potter series and the first official Harry Potter story to be presented on stage. The play will receive its world premiere in London’s West End on July 30, 2016.

It was always difficult being Harry Potter and it isn’t much easier now that he is an overworked employee of the Ministry of Magic, a husband and father of three school-age children.

While Harry grapples with a past that refuses to stay where it belongs, his youngest son Albus must struggle with the weight of a family legacy he never wanted. As past and present fuse ominously, both father and son learn the uncomfortable truth: sometimes, darkness comes from unexpected places." - Goodreads Synopsis


My Thoughts: 

I'm going to start off by making my opinion of this book very clear: I was NOT expecting it to follow in the footsteps of the other 7 Harry Potter novels. Not even a little bit. Therefore, I think I was able to enjoy this book much more than some other people did. It did read like fanfiction, and I did find some inconsistencies  but overall, as a seperate entity of the Harry Potter world, I think it was as perfect as it could have been. 

In the beginning, the writers were trying way too hard to try to pull everyone back into the storyline. It was almost cringe worthy. Not to mention, that reading the words of Harry, Ron, and Hermoine just did not seem anything like their originial characters. I get that it's 22 years later, but it was forced...and not sincerely them. 

However, I bloody loved Scorpius. Draco completely redeemed himself for me. Ron just got 10x better in my book. And Snape...ugh. The emotions. I can't. 

So I think what everyone is "doing wrong" is that they're expecting way too much of this book. If you're expecting it to be just another book in the series, you are going to be massively dissapointed. But, if you understand that this book is CO-WRITTEN by JK Rowling and ADAPTED for a screen play, then you'll understand, and just appreciate the gift JK has given us of returning to Hogwarts for 308 pages. 

Overall, I rate this 3.5 stars. 

You May Also Like

0 comments