The Gilded Cage

by - 7:55 PM



What's it about?

"After growing up on a farm in Virginia, Walthingham Hall in England seems like another world to sixteen-year-old Katherine Randolph. Her new life, filled with the splendor of upper-class England in the 1820s, is shattered when her brother mysteriously drowns. Katherine is expected to observe the mourning customs and get on with her life, but she can't accept that her brother's death was an accident. 

A bitter poacher prowls the estate, and strange visitors threaten the occupants of the house. There's a rumor, too, that a wild animal stalks the woods of Walthingham. Can Katherine retain her sanity long enough to find out the truth? Or will her brother's killer claim her life, too?" - Goodreads Synopsis

My Thoughts:

The Gilded Cage was essentially a cross between Pride and Prejudice and the Princess Diaries circa 1800s with a side of murder mystery. If this sounds even remotely interesting, you should definitely give this book a read. It's a wicked quick read and very gripping.

I really liked George and Katherine because of their relaxed country manners. They didn't go into lordship for the money. They did it because they were the heirs. I don't know. I guess I just liked how humble they were. Not to mention the opening scene is Katherine on the farm doing target practice. Major badass.

The romance seemed very forced...not to mention quite random. Like yes, it was essentially the hate turned love relationship that Liz and Darcy had, but it was almost as if it was trying too hard to be Liz and Darcy rather than their own.

I will say, the murders were a complete plot twist because given that I had not read the synopsis before starting this, I was thrown completely off guard. I love when that happens because I feel as if it's really difficult to catch me off guard when reading a book. I find most books to be even somewhat predictable.

The reason I would rate it what I do is just because it wasn't anything significant. Nothing super special or mind blowing. Just another quick read that was fun to read when you get home from a long day of work. 

Overall, I give The Gilded Cage 3 stars.

You May Also Like

0 comments