Sky in the Deep by Adrienne Young

by - 7:28 PM


Title: Sky in the Deep
Author: Adrienne Young
Published: April 24th, 2018
Pages: 340

Quick synopsis: Raised to be a warrior, seventeen-year-old Eelyn fights alongside her Aska clansmen in an ancient rivalry against the Riki clan. One day she sees the impossible on the battlefield—her brother, fighting with the enemy—the brother she watched die five years ago.

Captured by the Riki, she is forced to live as a servant for her brother and his adopted family, that is, until the Riki village is raided by a ruthless clan. She is given no choice but to trust Fiske, her brother’s friend, who sees her as a threat. They must unite the clans to fight together, or risk being slaughtered one by one. Driven by a love for her clan and her growing love for Fiske, Eelyn must confront her own definition of loyalty and family while daring to put her faith in the people she’s spent her life hating.

Goodreads Rating: 4.06
My Rating: 3.50

Would I recommend?: Depends.
Why?: I received this book in a monthly OwlCrate box but I was reluctant to read this book since it didn’t sound like something up my alley. Eager to reach my Goodreads goal before the end of the year, I picked it up since it was “relatively short.”

I will say, I liked this book more than I had expected. And I now understand all of the hype around it, I just don’t necessarily agree since I still didn’t LOVE it. If you’re into fantasy and action books, then yes, I would definitely recommend. I loved the unique time period of this book as vikings are not a common culture focused upon in YA literature.

My problems with this book were generally in the beginning, when things happened that didn't quite make sense. My biggest problem was when the main character brought on her own downfall (and she had PLENTY of time to fix it). Then there was the ending, which for me, just kinda…ended. It was strange because it seemed to just end very abrupt. Kind of like, “FIGHT, FIGHT, FIGHT! ….Ok we’re done.”

Apart from there being a few things that didn’t seem to line up properly, it was a good book. And if you’re into the YA fantasy genre, I’d definitely give this a go. If you’re not so into that, I’d pass.

You May Also Like

0 comments