December Wrap Up

by - 12:00 PM

Book Count: 10

Pages Count: 2,034

Star Count: 38/50


 Adulthood is a Myth and Big Mushy Happy Lump by Sarah Andersen

                 


Both of these were graphic novels with little shorts of how Adulting is hard (impossible), and oh my gosh is Sarah Anderson SPOT ON. This was fantastic. I'm dying laughing. The amount I can relate to this is unnerving. I can’t say more good things about this. You’ll just have to read it yourself to believe me.

The Librarian of Auschwitz by Antonio Iturbe

DNF
Based on the experience of real-life Auschwitz prisoner Dita Kraus. Fourteen-year-old Dita is one of the many imprisoned by the Nazis at Auschwitz. When Jewish leader Freddy Hirsch asks Dita to take charge of the eight precious volumes the prisoners have managed to sneak past the guards, she agrees. And so Dita becomes the librarian of Auschwitz. 
I really wanted to like this one since I love reading WWII historical fiction. Unfortunately, this one was seriously lacking. It felt like it was very childish, and there was no emotion in the writing regardless of it being set in Auschwitz. 
I just feel that it did no justice to the survivors and victims of Auschwitz. I understand that it was historical fiction, but reading the story, which just seemed childish & carefree, allowed me to forget where they actually were...which almost seemed to me like they were playing Auschwitz off like it was "no big deal."
I will say that there were some really great one-liner quotes in there, which just shows me that the writer is completely capable of writing a fantastic story. This was just unfortunately NOT it.

The Breakdown by B.A. Paris  

DNF
Cass is having a hard time since the night she saw the car in the woods in the middle of a downpour, with a woman sitting inside—a woman who was killed. She’s been trying to put the crime out of her mind, but since then, she’s been suffering from short term memory loss, which is driving her mad. The only thing she can’t forget is that woman and the terrible nagging guilt. Or the silent calls she’s receiving, or the feeling that someone’s watching her.
I could not POSSIBLY continue with this. Oh my dear lord. This was painful to read. Where was that even going? I got MORE than halfway through and literally NOTHING HAS HAPPENED. You're just here watching a woman lose her mind and it's driving ME mad. I'm done. I tried, but I can't. I'm so frustrated.

Cinder by Marissa Meyer


THIS WAS SO GOOD. WHY DID IT TAKE ME SO LONG TO READ THIS?! I'm starting to realize though that everything Marissa Meyer writes turns to gold. I have yet to find a book by her that I don't love. 
Cinder, a cyborg under her step-mother’s control, is the best mechanic in all of New Beijing. When the Royal Prince hires her to fix his droid, an unlikely friendship forms between the two. But when Cinder is captured for scientific tests, she finds out who she really is -- and that might cost her everything she now knows and loves. 
This was exactly what I wanted from the book. There wasn’t TOO much action, there wasn’t too much lovey dovey-ness, and it wasn’t TOO sci-fi. It was a perfect balance of everything I love in a book. However, I couldn't help but pull comparisons to TOG though? Long lost princess/queen? Hm?

Ever The Hunted by Erin Summerill 

Seventeen year-old Britta Flannery spends her days tracking criminals alongside her father, the legendary bounty hunter for the King of Malam—that is, until her father is murdered. When Britta is caught poaching by the royal guard, instead of facing the noose she is offered a deal: her freedom in exchange for her father’s killer. She must go on a dangerous quest in a world of warring kingdoms, mad kings, and dark magic to find the real killer. But Britta wields more power than she knows. And soon she will learn what has always made her different will make her a daunting and dangerous force.
It was fast paced enough to keep me interested and the storyline was beautiful.
This was significantly better than I had expected, considering I heard pretty mixed reviews on it, but I'm really glad I gave it a go.
I gave it 4 stars only because it didn’t blow me away. That being said though, I still cannot wait to read the next book. Definitely a series worth reading. 
 

Ms. Marvel: Volumes 1-3 by Willow G. Wilson


Kamala Khan is an ordinary girl from Jersey City — until she's suddenly empowered with extraordinary gifts. But who truly is the new Ms. Marvel? Teenager? Muslim? Inhuman? 

Reasons to read this series: 
Diversity - hell yeah.
It’s freaking hilarious
The graphics are epic
It’s bloody adorable
You need it in your life even if you don’t know that yet. 
 

 All The Missing Girls by Megan Miranda

Nicolette (Nic) has a really dark past. When her brother calls her for help, she must leave her perfect life behind in Philly and return to Cooley Ridge, North Carolina. But when Nic returns, she’s reminded of her best friend’s kidnapping that happened 10 years ago. Within hours of her return, secrets begin to rise to the surface and everything Nic once knew is about to be flipped upside down. 
Another really great mind bender. I thought the timeline of this was really fantastic, regardless of how much it confused me at first. You got to see how the story developed backwards instead of forwards...what an interesting concept. Not to mention the actual mystery was really gripping! And then when you find out what REALLY happened, it's like 'HOLY CRAP I DID NOT SEE THAT COMING.' Yeah. Really good. 
Anyways. Only reason I gave it 4 stars was because the whole backwards time thing threw me off in the beginning and it took me a while to get used to it (but once I did I really enjoyed it!)

You May Also Like

0 comments