I Believe in a Thing Called Love by Maurene Goo

by - 5:26 PM

My Thoughts: 

I kept seeing this book come up on NetGalley and Goodreads and it sounded absolutely adorable. I decided to request it from MacMillan (which they so kindly approved!) to see if it would live up to my expectations.  It soared right past them.

I adored this book; it was just what I needed to get out of my April book slump. This story had just the right combination of cute and nerdy moments, and a realistic romance.

Storyline:

Desi is a 17-year-old girl who humorously fails at keeping ANY guy she sets her eyes on. So, being perfect at everything else, she takes this as a new challenge and sets out  to derive the formula for getting a boyfriend.

This book was so much fun to read that I read it in one sitting. It made me laugh and cringe and I loved every moment of it.

However, some things I found to be unrealistic:
  1. The conflict resolution seemed forced and cliche...in order to not spoil anything, i’ll let you read it first, and then we’ll talk about it.
  2. Desi’s friends’ willingness to follow into her crazy antics, regardless of the legality of the activity.


Characters:

Totally crazy and my literary BFF: Desi. Desi is a Korean-American living up to the stereotype of Asian-Americans by being a straight A student and president of every club she could find. I really enjoyed watching Desi evolve throughout the book, from controlling and plan-crazed, to laid back and happy with life. It’s something that even I struggle to do day-to-day.

The oh-so-familiar “bad boy:” Luca.  You see one in every rom-com book, but Luca did not disappoint. I can’t say that I didn’t roll my eyes when I found out the love interest was going to be yet another “bad boy,  but there was something pleasantly different about him that made the book just that much better.

If you’re looking for a quick and easy summer read that has just a hint of diversity, you MUST read this! You will not regret it.

You May Also Like

0 comments