This Savage Song

by - 8:00 PM


What's it about?

"There’s no such thing as safe.

Kate Harker wants to be as ruthless as her father. After five years and six boarding schools, she’s finally going home to prove that she can be.

August Flynn wants to be human. But he isn’t. He’s a monster, one that can steal souls with a song. He’s one of the three most powerful monsters in a city overrun with them. His own father’s secret weapon.

Their city is divided.

Their city is crumbling.

Kate and August are the only two who see both sides, the only two who could do something.

But how do you decide to be a hero or a villain when it’s hard to tell which is which?"- Goodreads Synopsis

My Thoughts? 

I was really impressed by this book because I had quite mediocre expectations, regardless of the hype currently surrounding this. I'm not by any means Victoria Schwab's biggest fan, but I'm also not her worst enemy. I find her books to be mediocre and entertaining at times, but nothing substantial. 

This book made me reevaluate my opinion of Victoria. This book is easily her best work. Easily. 

This Savage Song was so refreshing! Yes, it had the typical badass girl with family problems, and the awkward boy with a dark past (no pun intended) but Victoria evolved these characters like I've never seen her do before. I recently read A Gathering of Shadows, which I gave 3 stars, and there was only one character that I found to have a really great development throughout the story. The others were very one-dimensional, as if she only focused on that one character and no one else. 

In This Savage Song you actually get to see the inner workings of each character and how their lives become intertwined. I think I also really enjoyed the futuristic setting of this book, when Victoria tends to set her books in kind of a futuristic version of the 1800s...if that makes any sense. 

I can tell that Victoria really went out of her comfort zone and explored the possibilities, and let me tell you, she did really well. 

Overall, I give This Savage Song 4 stars! 

You May Also Like

0 comments